YRSTS #5 GOA Shawl

You can find the pattern on Ravelry here...just don't buy it. I got you, homes!

Firstly, some attribution: a reader submitted this one to me. We'll call them NaughtyKnitter XD  When she sent this to me, my initial reaction was Ugh, really? Fucking people. This deserves a YRSTS entry.

This is one of the worst offenders I have seen so far. Why? Well, this is the most basic triangle shawl design EVAH. It shouldn't cost a fucking dime when there are so many

Alternatives

Man, I don't know where to start with the alternatives.

You could just do a Ravelry search for Free Triangle Shawls/Scarves (1,108 of them!!!) A lot of them are more complicated lace shawls, but here are some good ones that are identical or better than the one for $6 above:

  1. 3s Shawl
  2. Boneyard Shawl
  3. The Age of Brass and Steam Kerchief
  4. LaLa's Simple Shawl
  5. Azzu's Shawl 
  6. Simple Yet Effective Shawl
  7. Gabriel's Wings
  8. Painted Desert Kerchief 
  9. Esker Scarf
  10. Be Sweet Kerchief

All free... some of these are by famous designers and they didn't even charge.

Or you can make your own. I know of one way on the top of my head:

Easy-As-Pie Shawl Formula

Two different ways to start:

  1. CO 3 st, knit six rows, then turn 90 degrees, pick up three stitches, turn another 90 degrees and pick up 3 more from the cast on edge.  OR
  2. CO 7 stitches. Knit two rows, then k2, m1, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1, m1, k2

Now ya have 9 stitches.

RS: *k2, yo, (pm if desired) k 2, yo, k1, yo, k2, (pm), yo, k2
WS: k the first and last two stitches, and purl the remaining stitches.

The next and all remaining RS rows, you'll maintain the k2 yo at beginning and end, while also yo before and after the center stitch. You can get fancy and insert eyelet rows if you like (yo, k2tgther or ssk) every so often. Repeat until you get sick of it, or you reach the desired size. I would use a stretchy bind of of some sort (either a lace BO or Jenny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off). Voila.

I have made two of these off the top of my own head. Not hard at all to do. use self striping yarn if you're too lazy to switch colors to make stripes. I may write up the "pattern" for the sensational shawlette, but it basically follows the above instructions with the addition of eyelet rows.

You're welcome.

Happy Knitting!

Comments

Popular Posts